5 Easy Ways to Maintain a Clean Shower
Your daily shower is supposed to keep you clean, but what if the shower itself is filthy? Many homeowners and renters have showers that are somewhat less than squeaky-clean, sometimes even gathering mold, mildew, or unpleasant aromas. Naturally, this is something you’ll want to take care of—not just for the obvious reasons of sanitization, but because a clean shower will ultimately reduce the risk of long-term damage or corrosion to your plumbing.
For those looking to get their showers nice and clean, here are five surprisingly simple ways to get—and keep!—a shower you can feel good about.
- First, you need to deal with the showerhead, which can become covered in grime and soap scum after months and years of use. There is an easy way to clean the showerhead, and we’ve said this before, but it warrants repeating: Cover the faucet with a bag of vinegar, secure it with a rubber band, and leave it overnight. You’ll be amazed at how much cleaner your showerhead looks, how much better the water flow is, and how little work you have to do to get it clean! (No scrubbing necessary!)
- What about the shower curtain? Try soaking it in a saltwater bath for several hours, then let it dry and rehang it. The salt will remove mildew and other nasty buildup, and it will do so entirely naturally.
- Here’s a wild suggestion: Cut the bottom edge of your shower curtain with pinking shears. This will give you uneven edges, which will in turn facilitate better water dripping and reduce the buildup of mold.
- Stock your shower with a Scotch-Brite dispensing dishwand, or some similar product, filled with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and dishwashing detergent. This is the tool you’ll need to clean the interior of the shower most effectively, and by keeping it right there in the shower you’ll be much more likely to do it!
- Finally: A note about the shower doors. Invest in a cheap squeegee. Use it on the doors every time you shower to reduce the soap scum buildup. Just taking a few seconds to do this, after every shower, will dramatically improve the cleanliness of your shower!
Keeping your shower clean is important—and it can be surprisingly low-hassle! For bigger plumbing concerns, or for help installing new bathroom fixtures, please don’t hesitate to contact our Vancouver plumbing team today!