7 Ways to Check for Hidden Leaks
What’s worse than having a leak somewhere in your plumbing? How about having a leak you don’t even know about? Homeowners sometimes have these “hidden” leaks, which can do a lot of costly property damage—and waste a lot of water—before they’re resolved. As such, it pays to know some of the signs of hidden leaks, and to be mindful of them as you occasionally inspect all the areas of your home.
A few potential giveaways that you have a hidden leak:
- You have exposed valves and pipefittings that are corroded or rusty. Check under your sinks, look behind the washing machine, and inspect your water heater closer. If you have valves and pipefittings that have either rusted or started to deteriorate, then you may have a leak on your hands!
- You notice some staining on the walls or the ceilings. Discolored spots—brown, rusty, yellowish, or black—could all point to leaks in your pipes.
- You smell something that’s musty or damp. If you have mold and mildew in your home, that means you have a water issue—and one of the telltale signs of mold and mildew is the odor. Note that you may have stagnant puddles behind walls or under floorboards, so be careful to follow up on any strange aromas you encounter!
- The surface of your wall is bubbled or cracked. If your walls are soft, spongy, or warped, then you may have a moisture issue on your hands.
- You notice water in your ceiling light fixtures. Yes, this can happen. It’s not common, but if you notice it then be warned: It means you have leaks from pipes over the light fixtures.
- You hear the sounds of running water constantly. If it sounds like there’s water running, especially near appliances and plumbing fixtures, then there very well could be water running, likely somewhere you don’t want it to be.
- Your water bills suddenly spike. This is the real dead giveaway. If you can’t explain why your water bill is suddenly so high, well, it may be time to call a plumber to get to the bottom of things!
Hidden leaks are no small thing: The phrase “out of sight, out of mind” doesn’t apply here! If you notice any of these signs, please call our plumbing professionals right away!